Power of Attorney FAQBelow you will find a list of frequently asked questions that we receive. Most of your general questions about making a Power of Attorney customized for your province or territory are addressed here. Please read this section carefully before starting your Power of Attorney:
1. What is a Power of Attorney and why should I have one?
A Power of Attorney document allows you to give someone else the authority the authority over your financial affairs and property. It applies in situations where a Will would not apply. For example, if you are alive but are incapacitated or generally unable to deal with your financial affairs or property, this document appoints other individual(s) to act on your behalf. Without this document, your family or loved ones would need to go through a complicated and costly court process to deal with your financial affairs or property.
2. How much does this document cost?
A Power of Attorney document is offered through FormalWill.ca at the low cost of $59. That’s it. No hidden fees or surprises.
3. Why should I go through FormalWill.ca to make a Power of Attorney document?
In developing FormalWill.ca, the site and process was reviewed by Canadian lawyers so you can be rest assured that you are receiving quality documents. FormalWill.ca does not provide legal advice and as such, you should consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction in the event that you are unsure if a Power of Attorney from FormalWill.ca is adequate for your situation.
4. How do I receive my Power of Attorney document?
Upon completion of the document and payment, your document appears instantly on screen with a copy sent to you by email. You do not receive any documents via mail. If, for whatever reason, you do not receive your document via email, simply log back into your account at formalwill.ca, and you can print your document and instruction letter from there.
5. Is my Power of Attorney valid anywhere in Canada?
Our documents are customized to be valid in each province or territory. FormalWill.ca is a national Canadian company that specifically serves the needs of all Canadians.
6. How do I ensure that my Power of Attorney is valid and legal?
You will receive signing instructions based on your specific province/territory of residence along with your completed document via email. Simply follow these easy to understand signing instructions.
7. Does a Lawyer have to draw up a Power of Attorney?
No. Power of Attorney documents can be drafted using a do-it-yourself service such as FormalWill.ca. However, if you feel your situation is complicated, you may wish to seek the advice of a lawyer.
8. Does FormalWill use secure payment processing?
Yes. FormalWill.ca utilizes advanced security precautions to ensure that your transaction is safe and secure. Our payment processing is provided by Stripe, one of the world’s leading payment processors.
9. Do I have to file my Power of Attorney with a local court office?
A Power of Attorney does not have to be filed with any local court office.
10. What types of things are covered in a Power of Attorney created using FormalWill?
FormalWill.ca’s Power of Attorney document covers a wide range of items, including:
- A clause revoking previous Power of Attorney documents
- Specification of your city/town and province/territory of jurisdiction
- Appointing an Attorney who will carry out the terms of your document
- Appointing alternate Attorney(s)
- Specification of detailed powers and duties for your Attorney(s)
- Specification of liability of Attorney(s)
- Specification of restrictions on the types of powers your Attorney(s) will exercise
11. Once I have completed my Power of Attorney, is there a charge for any changes I may want to make later on?
Once you have completed and paid for your Power of Attorney document, you cannot make any changes. Please carefully review all of your answers before paying.